From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 00:34:42
1 On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 05/03/2012 02:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On 04/13/2012 05:19 PM, walt wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>>  A recent update
7 >>>> (udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
8 >>>> on /run/media instead of /media.
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
12 >>>
13 >>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa
14 >>
15 >> The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
16 >> systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
17 >> words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
18 >> David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
19 >>
20 >> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH
21 >
22 > Thanks for the correction.
23 >
24 >> And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
25 >> configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
26 >> see it
27 >
28 > I've thought that for a long time.  Mounting my own "personal mount" on
29 > a system directory never made any sense to me.  However, /run/media is
30 > still a system directory, so it still doesn't make any sense to me.
31 >
32 > I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice.  But I'm not doing
33 > the coding in this bazaar ;)
34 >
35 > The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a tempfs
36 > for some reason.  Do you know why?
37
38 So the mountpoint can be created on the fly, and so it is also
39 volatile. The system could "mkdir /media/<mountpoint>" everytime a USB
40 is plugged, and then "rmdir /media/<mountpoint>" when it's unplugged;
41 but if something happens (a power failure or something similar), then
42 you would need to manually remove the stale dir, or have a process do
43 it from time to time. Actually, some years ago it was not rare to have
44 such stale directories under /media.
45
46 None of this happens with a tmpfs.
47
48 > I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it a
49 > tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run when
50 > it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?
51
52 I don't know, really. gvfs (the new virtual filesystem for GNOME)
53 mounts the remote shares in $HOME/.gvfs (which is also a tmpfs). I
54 suppose a $HOME/.mount could be created.
55
56 I personally don't care, but it is certainly not consistent. However,
57 I agree with the idea of getting rid of the /media dir, and I have not
58 used /mnt in years, so I'm thinking on deleting both so my root dir is
59 cleaner.
60
61 Regards.
62 --