From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 23:02:44
1 On 05/03/2012 02:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 04/13/2012 05:19 PM, walt wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> A recent update
6 >>> (udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
7 >>> on /run/media instead of /media.
10 >> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
11 >>
12 >> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa
13 >
14 > The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
15 > systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
16 > words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
17 > David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
18 >
19 > https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH
20
21 Thanks for the correction.
22
23 > And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
24 > configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
25 > see it
26
27 I've thought that for a long time. Mounting my own "personal mount" on
28 a system directory never made any sense to me. However, /run/media is
29 still a system directory, so it still doesn't make any sense to me.
30
31 I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice. But I'm not doing
32 the coding in this bazaar ;)
33
34 The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a tempfs
35 for some reason. Do you know why?
36
37 I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it a
38 tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run when
39 it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?