From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB sticks now mounting on /run/media instead of /media ?
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 00:36:01
1 On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 05/03/2012 02:48 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On 04/13/2012 05:19 PM, walt wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>>  A recent update
7 >>>> (udev?) on my ~amd64 machines is now mounting removable drives
8 >>>> on /run/media instead of /media.
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>> Ha! I should have suspected Lennart from the beginning:
12 >>>
13 >>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=231931ffba1bca9d8759bbd6f797e56f8c6971fa
14 >>
15 >> The link you posted has nothing to do with this; that's only a
16 >> systemd-specific change in response to a change in udisks2. In other
17 >> words, Lennart has nothing to do with this change, the responsible is
18 >> David Zeuthen, udisks2 maintainer:
19 >>
20 >> https://plus.google.com/u/0/110773474140772402317/posts/NqPUifsFUYH
21 >
22 > Thanks for the correction.
23 >
24 >> And it's actually a pretty reasonable change (IMHO): now in multiseat
25 >> configurations each user can plug a USB drive and only him/she will
26 >> see it
27 >
28 > I've thought that for a long time.  Mounting my own "personal mount" on
29 > a system directory never made any sense to me.  However, /run/media is
30 > still a system directory, so it still doesn't make any sense to me.
31 >
32 > I think /home/wa1ter/media is a more logical choice.  But I'm not doing
33 > the coding in this bazaar ;)
34 >
35 > The upstream dev(s) seem intent on mounting removable media on a tempfs
36 > for some reason.  Do you know why?
37 >
38 > I understand completely the reason for inventing /run and making it a
39 > tempfs (I think Lennart *was* involved in that), but why use /run when
40 > it's not necessary or (IMHO) logical?
41
42 In my completely uninformed guess... a) tmpfs automatically 'cleans
43 up' every reboot, making sure old folders aren't sitting around stale
44 even if something did go wrong, and/or b) it's guaranteed writable for
45 the service that needs to make those mount points. I could probably
46 come up with a 'c', but I'd likely have to actually do a bit of
47 reading on the topic before rising looking even more foolishly un-read
48 on the topic than I already do! :-P
51 Poison [BLX]
52 Joshua M. Murphy