From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tethering an htc incredible
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 06:07:01
1 On Thursday 16 Jun 2011 23:13:28 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 16 2011, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 16 Jun 2011 15:38:30 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 > >> I have an htc incredible and want to use it to act as a modem for my
5 > >> gentoo laptop.
6 [snip...]
7
8 > >> I haven't seen any howtos for tethering directly with gentoo.
9 > >
10 > > I don't have your phone to provide detailed instructions, but this is how
11 > > I have tethered phones in the past to connect to the Internet using IrDA
12 > > or Bluetooth.
13 >
14 > thanks for the information. The forum post paul sent me too claims that
15 > this is very easy with a usb connection. But to date, I haven't got it
16 > working. Others definitely have so there is probably something wrong
17 > with configuration (quite possible the kernel).
18 >
19 > thanks again,
20 > allan
21
22 Well, what I'm suggesting should also work with a usb connection (instead of
23 bluetooth or IrDA) but unlike what is suggested in the forum I would not think
24 that it needs the particular MSWindows usb modem driver to create a virtual
25 ethernet interface. Unless that is the phone is locked down in its firmware
26 and will not run DUN - over bluetooth you would use 'sdptool browse
27 <MAC_address> to find out what services the phone offers.
28
29 I think that Linux *should* be able to manage the connection directly over
30 ppp, using what ever usb device udev creates when you connect your phone.
31
32 However, I don't have access to such phone to try it out on this end.
33
34 Good luck. :-)
35 --
36 Regards,