From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Copying/Moving a file in KDE - is the preview missing
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 12:25:16
1 On Sunday 07 Jun 2015 13:03:05 Paul Klos wrote:
2 > Op zondag 7 juni 2015 17:42:37 schreef Andrew Lowe:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > Under KDE, which I use, when you go to move/copy a file and it
6 > >
7 > > already exists in the destination, you get a dialogue pop up with a
8 > > heading of "File already exists", it says in the dialogue "Source" and
9 > > "Destination" with the respective paths underneath then underneath that
10 > > a big expanse of nothing then below that some stuff including the
11 > > Overwrite/Skip/Cancel buttons.
12 > >
13 > > My question relate to the expanse of nothingness. For example, if I'm
14 > >
15 > > moving/copying image files, should there be a preview of the two files
16 > > in this nothingness? Is there some USE flag I've stuffed up that has
17 > > disabled this. This happens, in my experience with Dolphin and
18 > > Gwenview,
19 > > but I'm assuming they both use a standard Qt/KDE dialogue so others
20 > > probably display this behaviour as well.
21 > >
22 > > Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
23 > >
24 > > Andrew
25 >
26 > Hi Andrew,
27 >
28 > If I try to copy a file that already exists in the destination folder, I
29 > do indeed get preview images and some metadata, not a vast expanse of
30 > nothingness.
31 >
32 > For example, when copying a jpg the dialog shows thumbnails of the
33 > source and the destination, and underneath each image the type, size,
34 > width, height and the date it was last modified.
35 >
36 > Below that is an input field where an alternative name can be entered,
37 > which presumably you still have. Finally there are the buttons.
38 >
39 > As for what triggers the presence/absence of the preview, I have no
40 > idea.
41 >
42 > Paul
43
44 From what I recall, in a full KDE desktop you will see previews only if you
45 have clicked on View/Previews to enable it. This will create loads of
46 thumbnails of various files so that the preview can show these.
47
48 Have you tried this?
51 Regards,
52 Mick