From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Multiseat -- LTSP?
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 18:37:12
1 On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> >> I'd like to have multiple users working from separate monitors,
3 >>> >> keyboards, and mice, but all connected to a single Gentoo computer.
4 >>> >> The main purpose is to minimize sys admin duties but hardware and
5 >>> >> power requirements would also be minimized.
6 >>
7 >> ATI make quad head video cards. If you do not need fancy graphics,
8 >> the cost is very reasonable. the easiest thing is to get a multi
9 >> head card, with keyboard and mouse ports for each monitor port,
10 >> if they are still manufactured. If not, get dual head cards complete
11 >> with mouse and keyboard ports.
12 >
13 > Quad-headed video cards would be pretty amazing.  24 workstations
14 > running from a single host....  As a note, from what I've read I would
15 > need to patch the kernel if using a multi-headed video card with only
16 > one PCI address.
17
18 Used to be, multi-head cards would list each head as a separate
19 sub-device. I was surprised to find my GeForce 210 (which can support
20 up to three outputs. One DVI, one {VGA|DisplayPort} (don't remember)
21 and one HDMI) only shows one device. I know I saw it on some old AGP
22 and PCI cards which had S-Video out.
23
24 Strange.
25
26 Anyway...if looking to drive more than one head off the same video
27 card, keep in mind that DVI and HDMI are only an adapter apart. I've
28 got a bunch of DVI<->HDMI adapters, and some are attached to the DVI
29 port on a monitor (allowing me to use a computer's HDMI output with
30 that monitor), and some are attached to the DVI port on a computer
31 (allowing me to use an HDMI-only monitor with the DVI port on a
32 computer).
33
34 It's really not hard to find triple-head cards with DVI, HDMI and one
35 of VGA or DisplayPort. Pretty sure I've simultaneously used all three
36 outputs on a DVI+HDMI+VGA card, but I don't remember which card. Some
37 only support driving two of those outputs at a time.
38
39 /me pines for his 5-display HTPC+desktop setup.
42 :wq