From: "Nelson
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Good arguments to use Gentoo Linux?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:34:23
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Hans-Werner Hilse [mailto:hilse@×××.de]
3 > Sent: 19 January 2007 10:06
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good arguments to use Gentoo Linux?
8 > Hi,
9
10 - snip -
11
12 > - needed customization can be done the easiest
13 > - admin skills are available
16 > -hwh
17
18 This is where I think Gentoo does come out on top.
19
20 Are all your machines similar? If so, do a custom install on one, set it
21 up how you like it, it's compiled from source for that specific machine
22 and purpose.
23
24 Then clone it across the other machines.
25
26 Gentoo's way of things just makes perfect sense - your OS is pretty much
27 unique to you and it's easy to fine tune it to how you want it. It's
28 updated regularly and if you lack a particular package you are free to
29 make an ebuild for it yourself, maintain overlays for obscure software
30 your company might use etc etc.
31
32 You can have an NFS share for syncing/updates which means you dont have
33 to download updates for each computer, only once (saves bandwidth =
34 saves money) and all PCs are hence running the same versions of
35 software.
36
37 That, and of course the wiki. Gentoo might look daunting but people are
38 right - this (meta-)distro has generated some fantastic documentation,
39 and the install guide is (to me, granted I'm not an newb to gentoo)
40 crystal clear.
41
42 David "I find it hard to use any other distro now" Nelson
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list