From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good arguments to use Gentoo Linux?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:15:49
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:37:27 +0100 (CET) qfpvajdy
4 <qfpvajdy@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > I would like to convince my boss and my collegues to use Gentoo
7 > GNU/Linux at the company office for the desktop system (and maybe one
8 > day also for servers). Currently everybody uses its own Linux/Unix
9 > system, but soon we could be forced to uses for everybody only one
10 > system.
11 >
12 > Does somebody has some good key arguments?
13 >
14 > The mines are:
15 > - newests packages with newests security updates, encryption support
16 > and full integreated KDE desktop to be used in office without problems
17 > - high performance desktop
18
19 Those are not important in any case where the budget dictates matters
20 (i.e. everywhere). Those aren't even good things to bring into play
21 against RH and FBSD, because those do that fine, too.
22
23 What really matters boils down to:
24 - easy, cost-effective maintainance (I doubt that Gentoo will be the
25 winner after all)
26 - more productive for the task (I would say that Gentoo would be that
27 e.g. for software development)
28 - needed customization can be done the easiest
29 - admin skills are available
32 -hwh
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list