From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which NIC is which?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:07:54
1 On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:51:58 +0100 "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Maybe stupid question:
5 >
6 > How to find out which physical NIC is for example eth0 ?
7 >
8 > If I have 2 NICs in the box, for example one e1000 and one from 3com,
9 > how to find out which one is eth0 ?
10 >
11 > I looked up /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules where the MAC is
12 > determining the devicefile ...
13 >
14 > Is there another way? on non-udev-systems?
15 > Just curious!
16
17 mii-tool -w eth0
18
19 then plug in/out a cable from every interface in sequence until you see
20 the above command detecting a link state change; that will be eth0.
21 Repeat with the other interfaces.
22
23 Also look at ethtool -p (details in the man page).