From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which NIC is which?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:16:13
1 Am 12.11.2010 18:51, schrieb Etaoin Shrdlu:
2
3 > mii-tool -w eth0
4 >
5 > Also look at ethtool -p (details in the man page).
6
7 Yep, thanks. Maybe I haven't explained exactly what I mean:
8
9 I want to somehow find out the relation between loaded kernel-module and
10 ethernet-devicefile. Without physical access ...
11
12 In another way: "Which kernel-module is in use for /dev/ethX ?"
13
14 For example I have Intel-Servers with two Intel-NICs, one needs e1000,
15 the other e1000e. If that server is 100 kms away I 'd like to be able to
16 ask the system "does eth0 run on e1000 or e1000e?".
17
18 For udev the trick with grepping the rules-file is somehow nice. I
19 assume there would also some other way to ask udevd itself?
20
21 dmesg as well, although I think there should be a way to find that
22 connection even when I did a "dmesg -c" somehow.
23
24 "lspci -v" tells me about the loaded module for the pci-device, fine.
25 But even with "-vvv" I don't see the link over to the MAC or something
26 like that.
27
28 Thank you all, Stefan