From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Floppy support question for old farts. lol
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 16:20:54
1 On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 120129 Dale wrote:
3 >> I got a friend that wants me to put Linux on his rig.
4 >> It has a floppy drive and he does use it for files he has on floppies.
5 >> How good is support nowadays?
6 >
7 > I haven't used diskettes for a couple of years,
8 > but when I did, 'mtools' was the pkg I used to use to manage them.
9 > Like your other advisor, I never automount devices (with Fluxbox),
10 > but goto my Root desktop & manually mount them from there.
11 > Mtools takes care of all that, however, for diskettes.
12
13 mtools is what I recall poking floppies with, too. Well, that and
14 'superformat'. You can comfortably fit up to 2MB of data onto a
15 "1.44MB IBM Formatted" disk. (The common formatting loses a lot to
16 sector spacing overhead and the like.)
19 :wq