From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vlc win32codecs on amd64
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 01:22:42
1 kashani wrote:
2 > James wrote:
3 >> Hello one and all,
4 >>
5 >> What's the trick to getting win32codecs to install and work with
6 >> vlc on amd64?
7 >>
8 >> Any wikis?
9 >>
10 >> I cannot seem to get VLC to compile in win32codecs on an amd64...
11 >> Yes I realize that 'win32' and amd64 are different arches, but,
12 >> surely there is a solution for this? Maybe not just with
13 >> vlc but every app that can work with win32codes on amd64?
14 >
15 > My understanding is that win32codec is generally not 64bit safe, but
16 > they'd be fine on amd64 if you're running your OS as 32bit.
17
18 Close. You can't use win32codecs on amd64 at all, unless you are using a 32 bit
19 binary program with them. Simple as that. So VLC cannot use 32 bit binary
20 codecs, unless someone made a vlc 32-bit binary and put it in the tree.
21
22 Steve
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list