From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] skype masked because of eula?
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:26:44
1 On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:09:26AM -0800, Kyle Adams wrote:
2 > easier still would be to put ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" in your make.conf
3
4 Easier... arguably. But are you sure you want to accept ALL EULAs that
5 can ever be? What if I were to bundle some software that has a
6 two line EULA: "By installing this software you agree that I am not
7 responsible for anything breaking. And I can freely use computing
8 cycles on your computer for other purposes." It is in plain English.
9 Would you accept this EULA?
10
11 I accept Skype's EULA while compromising my standards because, all
12 things considered, it is the best way to communicate with family and
13 friends overseas. But in general I do not like it when software comes
14 with strings attached, and I try to avoid them.
15
16 The issue of whether EULAs are legally binding aside, just agreeing,
17 blindly, to any-and-all past-and-future contracts that unknown third
18 entities thrust at you is, in my opinion, considerably daft.
19
20 W
21 --
22 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
23 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
24 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton