From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way forward? - Update 2 - SUCCESS! - CURRENT!!!
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 23:16:50
1 On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 15:44:38 -0700, Grant Taylor wrote:
2
3 > On 3/8/21 3:29 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > With hindsight, removing firefox, thunderbird and libreoffice and
5 > > replacing them with their -bin counterparts at the start of the
6 > > process would have saved much time. You could switch back to the
7 > > source options once the system is up to date.
8 >
9 > You're probably correct.
10 >
11 > However I don't think I would do that even if I had known / thought
12 > about doing so. Partially because changing things was questionable at
13 > / near the start and partially because this was about possibility, not
14 > efficiency.It would ve to be done
15
16 It would have to be done before the first update, when the repo was set
17 to a date just after the last update.
18
19 > > How did you manage gcc upgrades, did you run gcc-config manually
20 > > whenever gcc was updated?
21 >
22 > Is "I ignored them and let emerge deal with it" count? I did see gcc
23 > upgrades along the way.
24
25 You can rephrase that as "I left it at the default", which is an
26 acceptable answer :)
27
28 > I don't remember what it was at the start, probably 8.<something> or
29 > 9.<something>. I did see 9.3 somewhere along the way. gcc -v says
30 > that 10.2.0 is currently installed.
31
32 It means you probably spent a lot of time compile gcc versions only to
33 carry on using the old version, but as you said, this wasn't about
34 efficiency. You were going to emerge -e @world at the end anyway, which
35 would get everything built with the latest toolchain.
36
37 > > Do you feel it was worth the effort of updating for every day of the
38 > > git history?
39 >
40 > I don't know if it was worth the effort or not. I initially did one
41 > day at a time while testing the waters and going from theory to some
42 > practical experience of the method.
43 >
44 > Very quickly I used a different version of e (1 or 2) that took the
45 > date as a parameter. My command line was calling e with the date
46 > derived from the d variable and then decrementing the d variable after
47 > the e function finished. I.e.
48 >
49 > e $(date +%Y-%m-%d -d "$d days ago"); $((d=$d-1))
50 >
51 > I would let that run, deal with any results, then hit the up arrow and
52 > enter.
53 >
54 > I just let that process continue for a while. Then at some point I
55 > optimized it into e3 and ran that for a while. Then I optimized that
56 > into the while e3; do true; done loop.
57
58 Most of the effort for you was developing the procedure. All the real
59 effort was left to the computer.
60
61 > But I stuck with single day steps mostly from inertia. It was working.
62 > So ... stick with it.
63 >
64 > > Would a larger increment have saved time, or did you think minimising
65 > > the number of issues to deal with after each emerge was more
66 > > important?
67 >
68 > Maybe. If anything, it would have saved the time for emerge to process
69 > all of it's meta data. Much like an initial emerge vs an emerge
70 > --resume. But again, this was about the viability of the process, not
71 > the efficiency thereof.
72 >
73 > I probably could have gone with a week at a time. I don't know if that
74 > would have helped or not. I don't think I would go with more than a
75 > week with a largely automated process.
76
77 I was thinking of a week max.
81 Neil Bothwick
82
83 Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes. - Henry David Thoreau
84 (1817-1862)