From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange partition on USB stick
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 15:59:48
1 On Tuesday 04 Oct 2011 06:27:50 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 04 Oct 2011 04:39:45 Adam Carter wrote:
4 > >> If the data is important, I'd use ddrescue to create an image of the
5 > >> drive, then run testdisk over that image to see if it can untangle the
6 > >> partition table mess. Both are in portage.
7 > >
8 > > Well, that's the thing: I'm not sure that there is a mess. At least not
9 > > as far as parted is concerned, which can read the partition table
10 > > properly.
11 > >
12 > > I suspect that fdisk (unlike parted) is not capable of reading the device
13 > > correctly.
14 > >
15 > > I forgot to say that when mounted the USB stick shows not partitions
16 > > (i.e. there is no sdb1, sdb2, etc.) To access the fs I must do
17 > > something like:
18 > >
19 > > pmount /dev/sdb
20 > >
21 > > and then all is lists under /media/sdb. It is like a big floppy.
22 >
23 > I think that's your answer. The "partition table" looks funny because
24 > it isn't one. :) It is somewhat common. I've had some myself that are
25 > like that.
26
27 If there isn't a partition table, then why fdisk sees /dev/sdb1-4 with
28 somewhat strange ID types?
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick