From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange partition on USB stick
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 16:19:53
1 On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 04 Oct 2011 06:27:50 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > On Tuesday 04 Oct 2011 04:39:45 Adam Carter wrote:
5 >> >> If the data is important, I'd use ddrescue to create an image of the
6 >> >> drive, then run testdisk over that image to see if it can untangle the
7 >> >> partition table mess. Both are in portage.
8 >> >
9 >> > Well, that's the thing:  I'm not sure that there is a mess.  At least not
10 >> > as far as parted is concerned, which can read the partition table
11 >> > properly.
12 >> >
13 >> > I suspect that fdisk (unlike parted) is not capable of reading the device
14 >> > correctly.
15 >> >
16 >> > I forgot to say that when mounted the USB stick shows not partitions
17 >> > (i.e. there is no sdb1, sdb2, etc.)  To access the fs I must do
18 >> > something like:
19 >> >
20 >> > pmount /dev/sdb
21 >> >
22 >> > and then all is lists under /media/sdb.  It is like a big floppy.
23 >>
24 >> I think that's your answer. The "partition table" looks funny because
25 >> it isn't one. :) It is somewhat common. I've had some myself that are
26 >> like that.
27 >
28 > If there isn't a partition table, then why fdisk sees /dev/sdb1-4 with
29 > somewhat strange ID types?
30
31 It's misinterpreting the data that happens to be there because it
32 makes the assumption that it's a partition table even though it's not.
33
34 You can create a real partition table on that device and reformat, if
35 you want. (Note that some flash-based devices suffer degraded
36 performance if you repartition or reformat them because they come with
37 specially-aligned FAT tables from the factory)