From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev blocks systemd etc
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:46:33
1 On 2013-03-27 10:33 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 03/27/2013 10:25 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Ok...
4 >>
5 >> So, what is this all about?
6 >>
7 >> Does all of this mean that udev is now going*completely* away,
8 >> *totally* replaced by systemd?
9 >>
10 >> If so, has there been any kind of formal announcement about this
11 >> *anywhere*??
12
13 > Hold your horses.
14 >
15 > The devs will work something out; systemd is not replacing the udev
16 > package for all users. For the moment, it's just replacing the udev
17 > package for users using systemd.
18
19 Thanks Michael, but that didn't *exactly* answer my question.
20
21 I thought that newer versions of udev are now *dependent* on systemd?
22 Doesn't that mean that anyone who is using udev is also 'using' systemd?
23
24 So, again, my question is, is udev going to be going *completely* away
25 in the future, being *totally replaced* by systemd? Or maybe better said
26 asked as, will udev soon just be subsumed by systemd?
27
28 Even if this is a year or more away, I'd like to know...