From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: should everything compile?
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 19:33:38
1 On December 27, 2016 6:55:31 PM GMT+01:00, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Alan Grimes wrote:
3 >> Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
4 >>> ..indicates a mismatch in C++11 ABI which changed in gcc5. What
5 >happens is that one the
6 >>> dependencies of openimageio was built against the old C++11
7 >std::string ABI (hence the
8 >>> link errors), and needs to be rebuilt. It looks to be "Imf" aka
9 >libIlmImf,
10 >>> whatever that is. Try to rebuild it with --oneshot and it should
11 >work.
12 >>> If a similar error pops up for a different dependency, repeat. :)
13 >>>
14 >>> -h
15 >> Yeah, I emptytree world my system after each Y in X.Y.Z compiler
16 >version
17 >> bump. Since I sad it, everyone will tell you it's bad advice but
18 >really
19 >> not. The binary distros will compile everything with the same
20 >compiler
21 >> so crap doesn't happen. Now it's not super important but then you
22 >have
23 >> no idea how many other abi link errors are hiding out there.
27 >I do the same here. When I switch to a new version of gcc, I do a
28 >emerge -e world. If I've read that it really changes some things, like
29 >this one appears to do, I do it twice. The second time may be overkill
30 >but I'd rather have overkill than some weird problem that is difficult
31 >to figure out the solution. I don't think anyone would say doing that
32 >is bad. A ounce of prevention is always better than a pound of cure.
33 >;-)
34 >
35 >There's another upgrade that I do that after too. I can't recall the
36 >name right now but maybe it is glibc or something????
37 >
38 >Dale
39 >
40 >:-) :-)
41
42 I usually do (if encountering weird issues):
43 # emerge -1 gcc
44 # emerge -1 glibc
45 # emerge -e @system
46 # emerge -e @world
47
48 If there is a better method requiring less time, please let me know.
49
50 A full rebuild like this into binary packages using a chroot is a good way to prepare for a toolchain update. That way all the packages are already prepared and the downtime will be minimized.
53 Joost
57 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.