From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: should everything compile?
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 20:20:38
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On December 27, 2016 6:55:31 PM GMT+01:00, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Alan Grimes wrote:
4 >>> Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
5 >>>> ..indicates a mismatch in C++11 ABI which changed in gcc5. What
6 >> happens is that one the
7 >>>> dependencies of openimageio was built against the old C++11
8 >> std::string ABI (hence the
9 >>>> link errors), and needs to be rebuilt. It looks to be "Imf" aka
10 >> libIlmImf,
11 >>>> whatever that is. Try to rebuild it with --oneshot and it should
12 >> work.
13 >>>> If a similar error pops up for a different dependency, repeat. :)
14 >>>>
15 >>>> -h
16 >>> Yeah, I emptytree world my system after each Y in X.Y.Z compiler
17 >> version
18 >>> bump. Since I sad it, everyone will tell you it's bad advice but
19 >> really
20 >>> not. The binary distros will compile everything with the same
21 >> compiler
22 >>> so crap doesn't happen. Now it's not super important but then you
23 >> have
24 >>> no idea how many other abi link errors are hiding out there.
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 >> I do the same here. When I switch to a new version of gcc, I do a
28 >> emerge -e world. If I've read that it really changes some things, like
29 >> this one appears to do, I do it twice. The second time may be overkill
30 >> but I'd rather have overkill than some weird problem that is difficult
31 >> to figure out the solution. I don't think anyone would say doing that
32 >> is bad. A ounce of prevention is always better than a pound of cure.
33 >> ;-)
34 >>
35 >> There's another upgrade that I do that after too. I can't recall the
36 >> name right now but maybe it is glibc or something????
37 >>
38 >> Dale
39 >>
40 >> :-) :-)
41 > I usually do (if encountering weird issues):
42 > # emerge -1 gcc
43 > # emerge -1 glibc
44 > # emerge -e @system
45 > # emerge -e @world
46 >
47 > If there is a better method requiring less time, please let me know.
48 >
49 > A full rebuild like this into binary packages using a chroot is a good way to prepare for a toolchain update. That way all the packages are already prepared and the downtime will be minimized.
50 >
51 > --
52 > Joost
56 Giving it some thought, I would think your way would be the fastest.
57 When you emerge -e system, that should rebuild everything toolchain
58 wise. Then when you go back and do world, that should rebuild
59 everything with the new toolchain. I have ran emerge -e world twice in
60 the past but that requires more time than your way. Your way should
61 guarantee success and be the quickest.
62
63 I might add, in the past when I run into something weird, even with no
64 gcc or glibc changes, I would do a emerge -e world. Sometimes there can
65 be a change that doesn't get picked up on by emerge or even the devs.
66 Even the logs from a build failure may not give any real clue. That
67 said, it has been a while since I've had that sort of problem. I run a
68 mix of unstable and stable and still have a pretty sane system. I think
69 that says a lot about how portage/emerge/etc does its job now. The devs
70 have really worked out some serious kinks.
71
72 Now that I said that, something will come along pretty soon and just
73 bork everything up. LOL
74
75 Dale
76