From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on a Surface Pro 3?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 15:34:25
1 On 02/19/2017 09:40 AM, Daniel Quinn wrote:
2 > On 30/01/17 08:24 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >> I acquired (on the cheap) a used Surface Pro 3 with the keyboard cover
4 >> off of a relative who wasn't using it (they said the screen was too
5 > small.)
6 >>
7 >> I am considering putting Gentoo (or attempting to) and am wondering if
8 >> anyone has had success.
9 >>
10 >> It looks like newer kernels have some builtin support for the hardware.
11 >> Due to its form factor I will be setting up distcc to help with the
12 >> build process, and using -bin packages for monstrosities like firefox
13 >> and libreoffice.
16 > I'm sorry that I didn't see this sooner, but I've been running on my SP3
17 > now for about 2years. I maintain a GitHub repo with kernel configs and
18 > a installation manual, so if you'd like to give that a spin and submit
19 > patches/ideas as they come, I'd be happy to merge them:
20 >
21 > https://github.com/danielquinn/Gentoo-Surface-Pro-3
24 Thanks,
25
26 After messing around manually with the kernel I found your .config, that
27 could've saved me a lot of time.
28
29 I have a .config for 4.9.6-r1 I believe. I've noticed some patches have
30 been partially applied in 4.9.6-r1 and will modify the patches
31 accordingly. If I can figure out how to use git I can send the updates.
32
33 Dan