From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aligning SSD partitions
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 15:33:00
1 Am 05.09.2012 14:55, schrieb Adam Carter:
2 >>> I might also add, I see no speed improvements in putting portages work
3 >>> directory on tmpfs. I have tested this a few times and the difference
4 >>> in compile times is just not there.
5 >>
6 >> Probably because with 16GB everything stays cached anyway.
7 >
8 > Would it still be useful to use tmpfs if you wanted to keep drive
9 > writes down on an SSD? I imagine even tho its cached it would get
10 > written to disk after a timer expires, so while it doesn't affect
11 > performance it does reduce the drive life.
14 Yes. For ext{3,4}, this timer is controlled by the "commit=x" mount flag
15 (default: 5 seconds).
16
17 IIRC, app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools sets this to 30 so I guess it is safe
18 to use large values (besides the obvious risk of loosing data on system
19 crashes).
20
21 Regards,
22 Florian Philipp