From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aligning SSD partitions
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 12:59:29
1 >> I might also add, I see no speed improvements in putting portages work
2 >> directory on tmpfs. I have tested this a few times and the difference
3 >> in compile times is just not there.
4 >
5 > Probably because with 16GB everything stays cached anyway.
6
7 Would it still be useful to use tmpfs if you wanted to keep drive
8 writes down on an SSD? I imagine even tho its cached it would get
9 written to disk after a timer expires, so while it doesn't affect
10 performance it does reduce the drive life.