From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is Gentoo wiping out Gtk 2 support from packages that support it?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 03:05:42
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 07/07/2011 02:06 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> and/or take the whole mess to -dev...
6 >>>
7 >>> I couldn't care less about gtk stuff - but forcing gtk3 just because -
8 >>> and
9 >>> that on a package where gtk3 is the worse choice... not a smart move.
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> This sounds like the move KDE made with KDE4. I have some gtk stuff on
13 >> here but I'm not sure how much I actually use it. The new version may be
14 >> good one day but if it is not ready yet, why not wait until it is?
15 >
16 > This is not about Gnome though. It's about Gtk. And portage never
17 > removed older versions, unlike Qt. Try:
18 >
19 > eix -e gtk+
20 >
21 > Hell, there's still version 1.2.10 lurking in there! What are the
22 > chances there would be a Qt 1.x in portage?
26 I didn't mention Gnome. I have some gnome stuff on here but don't use
27 the desktop itself. I just made the comparison to KDE3 being dropped
28 when it was well known that KDE4 still needed some time to get some
29 kinks worked out. From what was posted here, I got the impression that
30 gtk2 is being dropped when gtk3 is not . . . well quite ready yet.
31
32 Just saying. :/
33
34 Dale