From: anhnmncb <anhnmncb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I know which package needs to upgrade without using emerge --sync?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 06:43:11
1 On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 06:30:58PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > That's one way of doing it, but I believe it will be slower in the long
3 > run. You have to load the page, read it, and decide is anything of
4 > interest is new. If so, you then have to emerge --sync anyway, so why
5 > not just do it reasonably often anyway? And if you use eix and run
6 > eix-sync instead of emerge --sync, then you also get a nice display of
7 > all changes to the tree as soon as the the sync is done.
8 >
9 > It is true that portage is a bit slow. If you are brave you can try
10 > paludis (it's in the portage tree) as a replacement for portage - it's
11 > claimed to be much faster. But, once again, it's relative: a large
12 > update will still take many times as long to compile and install as
13 > what it took portage to calculate what needs updating.
14 >
15 > Or are you actually saying that the unpack/build/install cycle takes
16 > much longer than installing an rpm or a deb? That can't be helped,
17 > that's how compilation works.
18 Thanks very much, alan.
19 The infomation you gave is very helpful, so I know maybe emerge --sync
20 is one of best and reliable way to update, maybe it has some shortage,
21 but I think that's a gentoo's way, I'm in gentoo's world :-)
22 >
23 > p.s. please don't top post
24 I'm a novice, thank you, now I know the mailing list's rule.
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list