From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I know which package needs to upgrade without using emerge --sync?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:37:22
1 On Tuesday 17 April 2007, anhnmncb wrote:
2 > Yes, maybe http://packages.gentoo.org/archs/x86/stable/ is what I
3 > want. Anyway, I still think the way gentoo uses for its package's
4 > database update is different with other distro, and seems a bit
5 > slower than others, err, I only used archlinux before.
6
7 That's one way of doing it, but I believe it will be slower in the long
8 run. You have to load the page, read it, and decide is anything of
9 interest is new. If so, you then have to emerge --sync anyway, so why
10 not just do it reasonably often anyway? And if you use eix and run
11 eix-sync instead of emerge --sync, then you also get a nice display of
12 all changes to the tree as soon as the the sync is done.
13
14 It is true that portage is a bit slow. If you are brave you can try
15 paludis (it's in the portage tree) as a replacement for portage - it's
16 claimed to be much faster. But, once again, it's relative: a large
17 update will still take many times as long to compile and install as
18 what it took portage to calculate what needs updating.
19
20 Or are you actually saying that the unpack/build/install cycle takes
21 much longer than installing an rpm or a deb? That can't be helped,
22 that's how compilation works.
23
24 > And..., what I have said above will cause a war too?...
25
26 Maybe, maybe not :-)
27
28 alan