From: Mait <mattengi@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New To Gentoo and Emerge, No ACPI in Kernel
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 03:49:19
1 [1]http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=tree
2 [2]http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7
3 [3]http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
4 [4]http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/genkernel.xml
5
6 If you new to kernel compile and config, Dont hurry. relax~ : )
7
8 First, read the *README*[1] file in kernel source. Maybe it is already
9 installed at /usr/src/linux/README.('/usr/src/linux' is symbolic links
10 that point real kernel source directory '/usr/src/linux-yourversion')
11 And check 'Gentoo Handbook - Configuring Kernel'[2] for current gentoo
12 profile(2006.0) required kernel option(and other contents too)
13 [3], [4] is maybe optional. But encourage yourself reading that document. :)
14
15 When configuring kernel option in 'menuconfig' or 'xconfg'(gconfig), you
16 can read inline help document. Critical option(cause to boot failure) is
17 everywhere. Be patient and Dont hurry
18
19 Before reboot with new kernel, Keep your existing(bootable) kernel file
20 and bootloader config(/boot/grub.conf).
21
22 Hope to get your 'own' kernel. :)
25 Mait
28 Lord Sauron wrote:
29 > Hi,
30 >
31 > I'm very very new to Gentoo. I managed to squeak through a install
32 > from the live CD, however, this gave me a kernel with little or no
33 > ACPI support - I have a laptop, so I'd like to have this support
34 > enabled.
35 >
36 > However, I don't know how to rebuild the kernel, or do so enabling
37 > ACPI support. I only know a few precious things about emerge, like
38 > --sync, --search, and even --help, but beyond that I'm not that good
39 > at all, and the man pages didn't offer much help for me.
40 >
41 > I know this is a painfully elementary question, but thanks for any
42 > help you can give!
43 >
44 > ====== Lord Sauron the Great =====
46 > GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
48 > V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
49 > DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
50 > ========= END GCv3.12 ========
51 > ====== www.geekcode.com =======
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list