From: Anthony Metcalf <anthony.metcalf@×××××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] network question
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 13:45:24
1 Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On Saturday 05 April 2008, ionut cucu wrote:
3 >
4 >> I had a buddy in my lan with whom I shared files and such. But
5 >> recently our campus network management decided to give our my dorm
6 >> building another external ip, and put a firewall( I think) between
7 >> us. So now instead of both of us having the same 141.85.0.75 I now
8 >> have 141.85.0.76. So my question is, being a n00b and all, what can
9 >> I use in order to restore the direct connection? I asked my only
10 >> physical present network admin but apparently his only role is
11 >> pugin computers in switches and give us an ip so he doesn't know
12 >> nothing. I did a nmap on the gateway but I've only found 53/tcp
13 >> open. I wouldn't wanna revert to skype or other 3rd party computers
14 >> since, I guess, it will segnificantlly lower our transfer speeds,
15 >> requier bothe our presence...etc. So what way should I be heading
16 >> here? Any advice is welcome!Thanks!
19 > If only 53 is open, you are pretty much out of luck except for two
20 > possible solutions:
21 >
22 > 1. The social solution
23 > You grab a huge bag of gummy bears, carry them to your real network
24 > administrator and ask him to poke a hole for you and your buddy into
25 > the firewalls.
26 >
27 > 2. The technical solution
28 > You get a box completely outside your compus's network into which both
29 > of you can ssh.
30 >
31 > Uwe
34 Or you get a long cross-over cable, and or long cable +
35 switch......Depend how far your computers are physically seperated.
36
37 Out of interest, what happens if you nmap your buddies IP and your own
38 from his box?