From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] network question
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:42:06
1 On Saturday 05 April 2008, ionut cucu wrote:
2 > I had a buddy in my lan with whom I shared files and such. But
3 > recently our campus network management decided to give our my dorm
4 > building another external ip, and put a firewall( I think) between
5 > us. So now instead of both of us having the same 141.85.0.75 I now
6 > have 141.85.0.76. So my question is, being a n00b and all, what can
7 > I use in order to restore the direct connection? I asked my only
8 > physical present network admin but apparently his only role is
9 > pugin computers in switches and give us an ip so he doesn't know
10 > nothing. I did a nmap on the gateway but I've only found 53/tcp
11 > open. I wouldn't wanna revert to skype or other 3rd party computers
12 > since, I guess, it will segnificantlly lower our transfer speeds,
13 > requier bothe our presence...etc. So what way should I be heading
14 > here? Any advice is welcome!Thanks!
15
16 If only 53 is open, you are pretty much out of luck except for two
17 possible solutions:
18
19 1. The social solution
20 You grab a huge bag of gummy bears, carry them to your real network
21 administrator and ask him to poke a hole for you and your buddy into
22 the firewalls.
23
24 2. The technical solution
25 You get a box completely outside your compus's network into which both
26 of you can ssh.
27
28 Uwe
31 Informal Linux Group Namibia: