From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Messed up system time caused messed up file modification times...
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:11:47
1 On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:49 PM, dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Monday 25 January 2010 18:05:14 Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>>> Hi,
6 >>>>    I've just rebuilt my new machine this morning playing with
7 >>>> different ways to do things. Unfortunately I went sort of fast and
8 >>>> forgot to set date/time/timezone. (Doing too much from memory this
9 >>>> time.) Now when I try to set the system time to local and the hardware
10 >>>> clock to Pacific time and turn on ntp-client/ntpd I'm getting lots of
11 >>>> complaints about modification times in the future.
12 >>>>
13 >>>>    This is completely my mistake and I can start over and fix it in a
14 >>>> couple of hours but I'm wondering if there's an easy way out of this?
15 >>> Unless your atimes were wildly out I think that it should at some point settle
16 >>> down and stop complaining.  Have you rebooted since?
17 >>>
18 >>> --
19 >>> Regards,
20 >>> Mick
21 >>>
22 >> Yes, I've rebooted a number of time, but I've since set everything
23 >> back to settings that don't complain.
24 >>
25 >> I was off by 8 hours I think - Pacific time vs what - GMT? Maybe it
26 >> would be OK after 8 hours? that would be OK but I'm nervous about
27 >> using the machine in the meantime because it's huge numbers of
28 >> messages and every file edit is a complaint.
29 >>
30 >> Maybe set it up right this afternoon, leave the machine alone, and
31 >> then wait until tomorrow morning?
32 >>
33 >> Thanks Mick!
34 >>
35 >> - Mark
39 > This happened to me a while back and it was my fault too.  I was doing
40 > the setup from memory and I made a link to /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
41 > instead of copying it to /etc/localtime.  I found my bios time was not
42 > right, I forget why, but I would set the time in the bios and after
43 > rebooting it was wrong again.  I think I was sync'ing the time with
44 > hwclock and since I was only six hours off it eventually cleared up
45 > overnight.  Also check /etc/conf.d/clock and make sure you don't have
46 > anything unusual in there.
47 >
48 > dhk
51 Thanks to everyone that answered. I think I'll take the evening off
52 and see if it's fixed itself tomorrow morning. If not I'll give Alan's
53 idea a try and if none of that works just build the machine again but
54 this time follow instructions! ;-)
55
56 I've saved most of the stuff I need - stage3/portage-snapshot,
57 contents of etc/world and a few other things. There's nothing on the
58 system as I cannot make X run correctly yet so it's not a big deal to
59 go about a clean install.
60
61 Again, thanks!
62