From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When is a disk not a disk?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 01:06:37
1 On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:02:51 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > Is this some sort of LVM thing creeping in? I don't use it but I see
4 > signs of it starting to show up on my systems like something is making
5 > it come in with new profiles or something.
6 >
7 > I don't know how LVM works but I assume that rootfs and /dev/root have
8 > something to do with your main file system?
9
10 LVM can't just turn up with a profile change, you need to allocate
11 partitions to it, create volume groups, create volumes in them, put
12 filesystems on the volumes and so on. It doesn't just happen.
13
14 /dev/root is just a symlink to the real device containing the root
15 partition. ISTR it came in with openrc.
19 Neil Bothwick