From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x86 Install CD - Success
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:42:09
1 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 >
3 > Yup, ipw2200 works fine with Gentoo. I have never tried installing with
4 > wireless though. Have you tried networkless install to get it working
5 > and then once gentoo is running update the system? Or perhaps install on
6 > a wired connection (I'm sure you would try this if you have the ability
7 > to =)
8 >
9 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2006.0/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
10 > (includes instructions for networkless install)
11 >
12 > Sry, I can't help on the installer issue, I haven't ever used the LiveCD
13 > to install, only console.
14 >
15 > -Jeremy
16
17 Thanks for the tips Jeremy.
18
19 I did get it to work. I will file a bug with Gentoo about the install
20 CD missing the ipw2200 firmware.
21
22 For those interested here is what I needed to do. My laptop is a new
23 Toshiba and has an Intel Pro ipw2200 based wireless along with a wired
24 eth0. However the wired nic is a Marvell Tech. piece of junk and does
25 not work. So the only two options I had were to get my ipw2200 working,
26 which I knew worked under Ubuntu or try my D-Link pc card. The PC card
27 did not work.
28
29 What I did was boot with the latest Ubuntu install CD. It is very nice
30 and is a full working Gnome system. That CD did have the needed ipw2200
31 firmware binaries so I could get to the net. However, it did not have a
32 compile tool chain so I could not build Gentoo chroot with it. I used
33 the Ubuntu CD to cfdisk my partitions just like I would with Gentoo. I
34 then downloaded the firmware (I grabbed every version to be safe) to the
35 new partitions and booted with the Gentoo install CD. I then modprob -r
36 ipw220, turned off the hardware switch for my wireless card and
37 extracted all the firmware tarballs. Flipped the wireless switch on,
38 modprobe ipw2200 and net-setup eth1. I then had to manually us iwconfig
39 and then I was able to ping my gateway and get to the net.
40
41 I get to have Gentoo on my vacation!
42
43 Jim