From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: my 5.15.93 kernel keeps rebooting
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 20:14:14
1 On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 12:03 PM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > Well, some progress, but no joy. I found actual messages from
4 > netconsole and it seems no matter what device I put for the source,
5 > netconsole says it doesn't exist. I tried my eno1, and also eth0 and
6 > eth1. In my normal boot sequence, I see that udev renamed eth1 to
7 > eno1, but netconsole still said it does not exist. So, I may have to
8 > use the serial console method, I have to find my cables for that. I
9 > did also try to add net.ifnames=0 to my boot options, but no joy
10 > there.
11 >
12 > --
13 > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
14 > How do
15 > you spend it?
16 >
17 > John Covici wb2una
18 > covici@××××××××××.com
19
20 John,
21 I did a bad job at trying to point you in this direction the other day,
22 and in my testing I'm not sure how well it works. However another
23 option you might investigate is on the receiving end you can
24 apparently set the transmitter's IP address by using the
25 transmitter's mac address. Supposedly you would execute
26 something like the following, with extra spaces added
27 for readability:
28
29 sudo arp -s 192.168.86.244 90:e6:ba:10:a3:e7 temp
30
31 which supposedly says 'when you see a packet with this
32 mac address associate it with this IP address'. The temp
33 part says don't add it to the permanent tables.
34
35 After executing this you are supposed to be able to use tools
36 that filter by IP address but I didn't have great results.
37
38 Hope this helps,
39 Mark