From: Peter Kelly <linuxpete@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ipw3945 and 128 bit WEP encryption
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 00:21:38
1 Holas!
2
3 I recently bought a Dell Inspiron e1505 laptop. I purposely got an Intel 3945
4 wireless card installed, because I read that it was more linux friendly than
5 the dell wireless card.
6
7 I emerge'd ipw3945, but can't get it to work. I get an error
8
9 error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A)
10 Operation not supported
11
12 when I run
13 # iwconfig eth1 key "26 hex character key"
14
15 when trying to set the the encryption key for my home network. I'm certainly
16 not going to turn off WEP encryption, so I need to fix this.
17 I've got a crappy 6 year old computer using a pcmcia and the airo module that
18 has no issues at all. I used the same /etc/conf.d/wireless file, so that
19 essid, key, etc, were all from a working setup.
20
21 I'm sure that I'm doing something so simply wrong, that the 4 hour delay to
22 figure out that /dev/sda6 requires scsi sata drivers built into the kernel,
23 will make this seem stupid.
24
25 It's currently off building KDE/X on the only available wired jack in the
26 house (who thought I'd ever need 13 switch connections?), so if I mis-typed
27 something, I apologize. Please ask.
28
29 Thanks.
30
31 Peter
32 --
33 The scene is dull. Tell him to put more life into his dying.
34 -Samuel Goldwyn
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list