From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ipw3945 and 128 bit WEP encryption
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:45:40
1 On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Peter Kelly wrote:
2
3 > Holas!
4 >
5 > I recently bought a Dell Inspiron e1505 laptop. I purposely got an Intel 3945
6 > wireless card installed, because I read that it was more linux friendly than
7 > the dell wireless card.
8 >
9 > I emerge'd ipw3945, but can't get it to work. I get an error
10 >
11 > error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A)
12 > Operation not supported
13 >
14 > when I run
15 > # iwconfig eth1 key "26 hex character key"
16 >
17 > when trying to set the the encryption key for my home network. I'm certainly
18 > not going to turn off WEP encryption, so I need to fix this.
19
20 Maybe you need to modprobe ieee80211_crypt_wep and the relevant crypto
21 algorithm modules? That's what I remember being the issue when the card
22 generally works but WEP doesn't. I think the older wifi supporting code
23 doesn't let you separate this stuff out, while the new code doesn't
24 automatically handle loading modules when necessary. I remember dmesg
25 being more informative than iwconfig when it fails, also.
26
27 -Daniel
28 *This .sig left intentionally blank*
29 --