From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no ebuilds for telegram
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 22:29:46
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 1:04 PM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> The basic idea is to upgrade as few packages at a time as possible - but
4 >> you can't do just one because of these conflicts.
5 > If you get stuck in a really bad dependency mess that is sometimes necessary.
6 >
7 > However, I'd first suggest just trying to update everything:
8 > emerge -auDv --changed-use --keep-going --with-bdeps=y --changed-deps
9 > --backtrack=100 @world
10 >
11 > It is quite possible that this will just be a complete mess since such
12 > a long time has passed.
13 >
14 > If so I would try to do just those conflicts necessary to get portage
15 > updated to start. Or maybe try the above command but using @system
16 > instead of @world.
17 >
18 > However, nobody should be under the impression that it is normal when
19 > updating to have to routinely update packages one at a time manually
20 > trying to work through conflicts. As long as all the conflicting
21 > packages are within the scope of an update command, portage should
22 > generally be able to figure out how to handle this.
23 >
24 > Often when it can't it is the result of heavy-handed user
25 > configuration (USE=-* and so on). I'm not saying that users can't do
26 > that if they want, but right now portage doesn't have any concept of
27 > soft use dependencies so anytime you stick something in a config file
28 > portage will treat it as the gospel even if one small change to your
29 > configuration will unblock a large logjam of conflicts.
30 >
31 > In an ideal world there would be some kind of prioritization of these
32 > configs so that you could have softer preferences and harder ones, and
33 > portage would just make a best effort to respect soft preferences
34 > without micromanagement.
38 I agree. I'd try to update world as well.  I've had occasion in the past
39 where doing a emerge -uaDN system would fail with conflicts but emerge
40 -uaDN world would work, just with a really long list of packages to
41 update.  It's worth a shot. If nothing else, the error would provide
42 more info.
43
44 To the OP.  Gentoo really needs to be synced and updated at least every
45 few months.  I do mine once a week.  Some update daily.  The downside of
46 updating only after long periods of time, running into multiple problem
47 updates that depend on each other.  It's bad enough with just one of
48 those to deal with but when you are hit with two, three or more, it
49 becomes easier to reinstall with a fresh tarball and go from there.
50 Updating is doable but it can be very frustrating and result in a loss
51 of hair.  O_o
52
53 Didn't gentoolkit and portage have a circular deps problem several
54 months back?  I seem to recall it being tricky to get past but it has
55 been a while back.  This is another problem with updating after long
56 periods of time.  Old folks with foggy memory can't remember how they
57 worked around a problem.  If they didn't make notes, most of us forget
58 to do that, then we don't remember how we got around it to share the
59 solution, which often requires a decoder ring and a off the charts IQ.
60 lol
61
62 Dale
63