From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no ebuilds for telegram
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 17:33:15
1 On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 1:04 PM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > The basic idea is to upgrade as few packages at a time as possible - but
4 > you can't do just one because of these conflicts.
5
6 If you get stuck in a really bad dependency mess that is sometimes necessary.
7
8 However, I'd first suggest just trying to update everything:
9 emerge -auDv --changed-use --keep-going --with-bdeps=y --changed-deps
10 --backtrack=100 @world
11
12 It is quite possible that this will just be a complete mess since such
13 a long time has passed.
14
15 If so I would try to do just those conflicts necessary to get portage
16 updated to start. Or maybe try the above command but using @system
17 instead of @world.
18
19 However, nobody should be under the impression that it is normal when
20 updating to have to routinely update packages one at a time manually
21 trying to work through conflicts. As long as all the conflicting
22 packages are within the scope of an update command, portage should
23 generally be able to figure out how to handle this.
24
25 Often when it can't it is the result of heavy-handed user
26 configuration (USE=-* and so on). I'm not saying that users can't do
27 that if they want, but right now portage doesn't have any concept of
28 soft use dependencies so anytime you stick something in a config file
29 portage will treat it as the gospel even if one small change to your
30 configuration will unblock a large logjam of conflicts.
31
32 In an ideal world there would be some kind of prioritization of these
33 configs so that you could have softer preferences and harder ones, and
34 portage would just make a best effort to respect soft preferences
35 without micromanagement.
38 Rich