From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} ISP requires MTU below 1500?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 19:57:10
1 > Leaving your MTU at the default ethernet size of 1500 on your PC/server should
2 > not cause a problem for most day to day operations, because modern end-point
3 > OS and network devices use Path MTU Detection. Problems will arise when you
4 > come across a misconfigured router/firewall/server (internet black hole) which
5 > drops ICMP Fragmentation Needed (Type 3, Code 4) packets and won't adjust its
6 > MTU to make sure you can receive packets of the appropriate size.
9 And I believe that's exactly what I have as far as my AT&T
10 modem/router which seems to drop all icmp packets. I think that's why
11 it's important for me to set an MTU for my network which is not
12 greater than the MTU of the modem/router which appears to be 1492.
15 > I have no idea if PMTUD is in any way relevant to the TCP queue spikes you
16 > have observed, but they are caused by TCP buffers overflowing. Some detective
17 > work at the time these overflows take place would show what the server is doing
18 > at the time.
21 Any idea which tool to use? I could start keeping an eye on output
22 when things are good and then again when things are bad so I can
23 compare the two states.
24
25 - Grant