From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} ISP requires MTU below 1500?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 20:11:00
1 On Tuesday 20 Sep 2016 12:57:00 Grant wrote:
2 > > Leaving your MTU at the default ethernet size of 1500 on your PC/server
3 > > should not cause a problem for most day to day operations, because modern
4 > > end-point OS and network devices use Path MTU Detection. Problems will
5 > > arise when you come across a misconfigured router/firewall/server
6 > > (internet black hole) which drops ICMP Fragmentation Needed (Type 3,
7 > > Code 4) packets and won't adjust its MTU to make sure you can receive
8 > > packets of the appropriate size.
9 >
10 > And I believe that's exactly what I have as far as my AT&T
11 > modem/router which seems to drop all icmp packets. I think that's why
12 > it's important for me to set an MTU for my network which is not
13 > greater than the MTU of the modem/router which appears to be 1492.
14 >
15 > > I have no idea if PMTUD is in any way relevant to the TCP queue spikes you
16 > > have observed, but they are caused by TCP buffers overflowing. Some
17 > > detective work at the time these overflows take place would show what the
18 > > server is doing at the time.
19 >
20 > Any idea which tool to use? I could start keeping an eye on output
21 > when things are good and then again when things are bad so I can
22 > compare the two states.
23 >
24 > - Grant
25
26 On the server you could start by using iftop, iptraf-ng, netstat to get an
27 idea of connections and bandwidth consumed. Use lsof, syslog and webserver
28 logs to see what's happening at an application level.
29
30 You can also increase the firewall verbosity briefly, to see if anything strange
31 is happening with packets being processed there.
32 --
33 Regards,
34 Mick