From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot to console only?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 01:11:50
1 On Tuesday 11 January 2011 23:40:55 Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > I found the nox keyword searching in Google but couldn't figure out how
4 > to use it correctly. It does exactly what I was looking for.
5
6 I define a separate run-level for no-x*, which doesn't contain xdm and
7 also omits various other things that are only needed when running an X
8 session (lm_sensors, vboxdrv, alsasound, ...). Then I put a separate
9 entry into grub.conf for it and select it at boot time.
10
11 It doesn't get used very often, but when I need it nothing else will do.
12 Very handy for, e.g., major upgrades of KDE, when I'd rather not carry
13 on running old-KDE and risk starting a program thoughtlessly that might
14 be either old-KDE or new-KDE.
15
16 Single-user mode won't do for this because I want the range of VTs to be
17 available to do work in.
18
19 * like this:
20 # mkdir /etc/runlevels/no-x
21 # rc-update add <package> no-x
24 Rgds
25 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.