From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot to console only?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 00:11:33
1 On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Hi,
7 >>   What (if any) is a way to boot a Gentoo VM as far as the console,
8 >> not starting X, to allow a root login? Possibly some sort of
9 >> interactive boot where I can tell it to continue or not?
10 >>
11 >>   The current kernel on this VM is 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 if it matters.
14 > Put gentoo=nox on the end of the VM's boot line at the boot loader.
15
16 Thanks to you both Adam and Dale. I found the nox keyword searching in
17 Google but couldn't figure out how to use it correctly. It does
18 exactly what I was looking for.
19
20 The problem was I built a VM that started X but only had KDE in the VM
21 and no user accounts yet. KDE starts and runs in the VM but KDE
22 wouldn't allow a root login so there wasn't a way for me to get a user
23 account added without stopping at the login like this.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Mark