From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-compatible wifi GUI?
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:27:13
1 On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:58:02 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > Knetworkmanager takes care of the config, using KDE's wallet to store
4 > > WEP/WPA passwords. However, I've recently started using wicd instead
5 > > of knetworkmanager. For one thing, it automatically reconnects when
6 > > you lose and regain the signal to your AP. Also, because the
7 > > connection is handled by the daemon and only controlled by the GUI,
8 > > the wireless connection is running by the time the desktop loads.
9 >
10 > I have never (knowingly) used networkmanager to know what it offers,
11 > but I have used kwifimanager, or if you use wpa_supplicant you could
12 > use wpa_gui. I have found that wpa_supplicant will scan and re-attach
13 > automatically as you move in-out of range. My office has a mesh of APs
14 > and as you walk around you drop and reconnect transparently.
15
16 All of the GUIs, and the daemons like wicd and networkmanager, make use
17 of wpa_supplicant to handle the WPA connection details.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 You are about to give someone a piece of your mind,
24 something you can ill afford...