From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-compatible wifi GUI?
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:58:23
1 On Thursday 02 October 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:06:48 +0200, Erik Hahn wrote:
3 > > > BTW: I prefer KDE, if this is relevant.
4 > >
5 > > There's network-manager, it uses it's own config files, though.
6 >
7 > Knetworkmanager takes care of the config, using KDE's wallet to store
8 > WEP/WPA passwords. However, I've recently started using wicd instead of
9 > knetworkmanager. For one thing, it automatically reconnects when you lose
10 > and regain the signal to your AP. Also, because the connection is handled
11 > by the daemon and only controlled by the GUI, the wireless connection is
12 > running by the time the desktop loads.
13
14 I have never (knowingly) used networkmanager to know what it offers, but I
15 have used kwifimanager, or if you use wpa_supplicant you could use wpa_gui.
16 I have found that wpa_supplicant will scan and re-attach automatically as you
17 move in-out of range. My office has a mesh of APs and as you walk around you
18 drop and reconnect transparently.
21 Regards,
22 Mick