From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Painted into a corner: avahi and mDNSResponder
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 07:51:43
1 On Sunday 12 October 2008 08:04:22 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Sonntag 12 Oktober 2008, Alan E. Davis wrote:
3 > > Almost perpetually, the following packages or their versions are
4 > > blocking. I have run emerge -e system several times. Some other
5 > > problems were cleared up, and this
6 > > avahi--mDNSResponder/mdnsresponder-compat whatever it all is, just
7 > > keeps coming back even when solved by some skullduggery. I've removed
8 > > both of them at one time or another.
9 > >
10 > > [blocks B ] net-dns/avahi ("net-dns/avahi" is blocking
11 > > net-misc/mDNSResponder-107.6-r5)
12 > >
13 > > [blocks B ] net-misc/mDNSResponder ("net-misc/mDNSResponder" is
14 > > blocking net-dns/avahi-0.6.23)
15 > >
16 > > I guess the problem is that I am running gnome and also have two or
17 > > three different versions/slots of kde installed. I suppose, then,
18 > > it's remarkable that only these blocks are showing up?
19 > >
20 > > Can someone lend a hand on this? Anything I do is little more than
21 > > blind tinkering.
22 > >
23 > > Alan
24 >
25 > set the avahi useflag, unmerge mdnsresponder, emerge avahi.
26
27 That looks familiar. I remember similar deep blocks myself - it was nasty at
28 the time.
29
30 For the OP's benefit, here's a high level summary of what is going on:
31
32 Avahi and mDNSResponder implement a system called ZeroConf, first designed by
33 Apple. It's a way for machines on a network to find each other and what
34 network features they support. These systems are quite low-level so
35 unfortunately the implementations are often incompatible.
36
37 By and large you will find that Gnome stuff supports Avahi and KDE stuff
38 supports mDNSResponder, so the only way out of this mess is often extensive
39 use of 'equery hasuse', 'equery depends' and 'emerge -pvt' so see what pulls
40 in what. But first you should research what these things are so you can make
41 intelligent decisions about what to include and what to drop. The thing that
42 cleared it up for me was an interview with the KDE team lead responsible for
43 these features - Google will find it for you.
44
45 Personally, I find these things more trouble than they are worth. They seem to
46 be designed for the "Apple Generation User" (whatever that is), and I have no
47 use for that on the networks I work on. ZeroConf is not necessarily something
48 you have to have installed...
51 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com