From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] fetchmail to procmail (or something) to arbitrary dir?
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:37:33
1 On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:21:00 -0800
2 Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Hello, OT post here, but:
5 >
6 > I (the office, actually) have this lousy ISP that sells mailboxes
7 > limited to 50MB. Whatever, I can't change that just now.
8 >
9 > I have need to keep all mail in one place... for safekeeping, mostly.
10 > 50MB is not enough and I get a quota warning.
11 >
12 > So, knowing this situation is BS, I thought, what's the quickest and
13 > dirtiest way (short of hacking up another perl script) that I can make
14 > this just go away, without losing that backup storage?
15 >
16 > Anyway, I puzzled a bit and decided 'fetchmail' sounds pretty good,
17 > pretty much what I want to do here. But, it needs sendmail...?? I
18 > don't want a MTA on this box. So, I see 'procmail' is an alternative
19 > target. Hmm.
20 >
21 > I see the process as, getting a quota warning and then running
22 > 'fetchmail' as a user. It worked, but not how I want.
23 >
24 > I got the mail off the server, but now it's in my 'own' .maildir
25 > folder. As I will need to set up a dump folder for a bunch of
26 > different accounts, this won't do.
27 >
28 > So, what part did I miss about setting the MAILDIR? For some reason my
29 > config selected the 'DEFAULT'. How can I set up multiple procmail
30 > targets and choose which one I want based on the .fetchmailrc?
31 >
32 > (Yeah, I don't want to actually learn procmail rules or anything.)
33 >
34 > poll pop.lousyfreakinisp.com protocol POP3
35 > user "job@××××.com" password "job" fetchall
36 > mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
37 >
38 > Or, is there some other more lightweight brainless set-and-forget way
39 > I can approach this? Quota-warning->dumpALLpop3email to local folders
40 > one each for six or seven email accounts? Without setting up new
41 > users?
42 >
43 > I don't really even care what the format of the folder is, just that
44 > it isn't the multi-gigabyte .pst files everyone else has. Would
45 > rcvstore[?] work?
46 >
47 > Cheers,
51 If you don't want to run an email server, or at least offer pop or imap
52 access to users' maildirs, your only real choice is to use a mail
53 client.
54
55 use eg claws or thunderbird to pop off your isp's server and store it
56 locally. not as flexible as a server, but the next best thing.
57 --
58 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list