From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing how secure a server is...
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 05:29:18
1 Colin wrote:
2 >
3 > Want to know how secure your server is? Try and hack it!
4 >
5 > A good port scanner like nmap should be a basic check of your
6 > firewall. I would also set nmap (if it can do this) to perform a SYN
7 > flood as it scans, to see if your server can withstand that basic DoS
8 > attack. (Adding --syn to your TCP rules in iptables can prevent SYN
9 > flooding when used with SYN cookies.) When you break in, find out why
10 > it worked and how it can be patched.
11
12 I'd like to put forth a few words of caution.
13
14 Depending on the complexity of your environment aggressive security
15 scans can be fairly detrimental to your services stability. Make sure
16 you inform the other admins if any that a scan will be taking place and
17 do it in off hours. While most Internet facing applications today are
18 pretty good about handling a scan internal custom built applications or
19 newly released appliances are not.
20 I once had massive load balancer failures across three geographic sites
21 because of an unauthorized port scan by out new security director. Yes
22 they shouldn't have locked up when send a weird packet, but we'd have
23 avoided quite a bit of downtime if we had known what to look for.
24
25 kashani
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list