From: Colin <signofzeta@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Testing how secure a server is...
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 00:22:09
1 On Aug 2, 2005, at 7:50 PM, Raphael Melo de Oliveira Bastos Sales wrote:
2
3 > Hi there,
4 >
5 > I was wondering what tools should I use to detect security flaws to
6 > my server and a few tips on how to use them. What are the most common
7 > forms of attack and how do I avoid being attacked by one of them?
8 >
9 > The services avaliable are only Apache - SSL and SSH. I've
10 > installed an firewall, iptables and firestarter to control it, and
11 > blocked all ports except 443 and 8080, where the SSH is listening.
12 > Apache has PHP installed as a module.
15 Want to know how secure your server is? Try and hack it!
16
17 A good port scanner like nmap should be a basic check of your
18 firewall. I would also set nmap (if it can do this) to perform a SYN
19 flood as it scans, to see if your server can withstand that basic DoS
20 attack. (Adding --syn to your TCP rules in iptables can prevent SYN
21 flooding when used with SYN cookies.) When you break in, find out
22 why it worked and how it can be patched.
23
24 Some things I would advise (I'm currently working on a server at the
25 moment as well):
26 - If the server is really important (or if you're paranoid), use
27 the hardened-sources with PIE/SSP to prevent badly-written programs
28 from arbitrarily executing code.
29 - Enable SYN flood protection. There's a kernel option somewhere
30 about IPv4 SYN cookies, enable that, and couple it with --syn
31 attached to your TCP rules in iptables. It's a very popular denial-
32 of-service attack.
33 - Whenever you need to login or authenticate yourself, make the
34 system delay five seconds after a bad password is entered. This will
35 make a brute-force attack much much slower (0.2 passwords/sec as
36 opposed to millions passwords/sec without a delay, depending on your
37 server's speed).
38 - Make sure iptables is set to deny all traffic that isn't
39 explicitly allowed.
40 - Turn off any services you don't need.
41 - Read through your logs every now and then. I highly advise
42 having the server burn them to a CD/floppy every now and then for an
43 instant backup. Get a log reader/parser, too.
44
45 Naturally, hide the server in the attic or basement. Chain it to
46 something, or if it has a security slot, use a security cable. Put a
47 lock on the case door. Unplug your floppy/CD drives if you're not
48 using them. As of this writing, there is no kernel option to keep
49 your computer or its innards from walking away. :-)
50 --
51 Colin
52 --
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list