From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] In search of a "good" windowmanager
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:01:01
1 On Monday 14 September 2009, Thomas Kahle wrote:
2 > Hey,
3 >
4 > > Since IceWM seems to be gone into hibernation phase I am looking for
5 > > a replacement which should
6 > > -- be widely configurable via ascii files
7 > > -- be as far as possible controllable by keyboard
8 > > -- be also useable with the mouse
9 > > -- no eye-candy
10 > > -- not ugly
11 > > -- NOT tiling
12 > > -- FAST!
13 > >
14 > > I would like to hear from others what experiences they made with
15 > > what windowmanagers.
16 >
17 > Many people say fluxbox here, but you should also have a look at openbox
18 > (http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Main_Page) which is very similar
19 > but seems to integrate better into freedesktop.org standards. I use
20 > openbox because it gives me the speed and configurability of fluxbux
21 > while all the automagic things (suspend-keys, volume-keys,
22 > powermanagement, plasmoids, ...) that hal and kde4 bring still work.
23 > But maybe the latest version of fluxbox also does that..? I have not
24 > checked on it for a while.
25
26 Hmm not sure that Fluxbox does much of that ... I understand that the way
27 Fluxbox works goes against compositing that KDE/Gnome implemented.
28
29 Does openbox do real transparency, or can you only see the desktop in e.g.
30 aterm?
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick