From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my system (really) using nptl
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:18:27
1 On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> We can only know seeing the code. Timur, this is the little test I
6 >> made which creates 5 threads and runs them for 1 minute. In my case,
7 >> `ps x` shows only 1 PID, care to give it a try?
8 >>
9 >> ----------------------
10 >> #include <pthread.h> <<======
11 >> #include <unistd.h>
12 >> #include <stdlib.h>
13 >> #include <stdio.h>
14 >
15 > Thanks for the test case. Like you I see only one thread. However the
16 > test case wouldn't compile for me without the -pthread option so it
17 > makes me wonder what happens to a program like I had pointed to
18 > yesterday that uses the old style threading that did create lots of
19 > process ids? Possibly an nptl system would still generate lots of ids
20 > for that program and that's what he's seeing?
21 >
22 > Just curious. I don't program but I'm always sort of interested.
23
24 You got your answer. NTPL stands for Native POSIX Thread *Library*. As
25 it name says, it is a library (with support in the kernel and in
26 glibc). If you don't use the library (-lpthread), you cannot make use
27 of its advantages.
28
29 What "old style threading" did you use for your test case?
30
31 Regards.
32 --
33 Canek Peláez Valdés