From: Yahya Mohammad <mfyahya@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] any gentoo mutt users?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 08:29:48
2 > I've got several hard-core network engineer users with the same problem. They
3 > solved it in a neat way, by running mutt in a permanent screen session on a
4 > server I provided for the purpose. Getmail is now not necessary as I deliver
5 > their mail to that machine. Working on the LAN and from home over vpn it just
6 > works, connecting from home without vpn is a simple matter of ssh port
7 > forwarding. Their shell profiles on every workstation runs screen and
8 > .screenrc is set up to automatically connect to that server.
11 I use mutt with screen as well. It works great even from my nokia
12 cellphone after installing the putty ssh client. It's probably the
13 fastest, and lowest bandwidth consuming email client for mobile phones.
14
15 One problem I had was Vim was very slow to startup, as it was trying to
16 connect to the X server remotely. To fix this vim can be started with
17 the -X parameter or the DISPLAY variable can be unset.