From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] any gentoo mutt users?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 09:11:41
1 On Sunday 03 May 2009 06:06:54 James wrote:
2 > Alan,
3 >
4 > Thanks for the response. :)
5 >
6 > I've thought about doing something similar to this, but it's a last
7 > resort. I end up using mutt on various different workstations and it'd
8 > be nice to run everything "locally". Obviously a solution where I'm
9 > fetching mail on every machine where I'm using mutt doesn't scale very
10 > well.
11
12 I've got several hard-core network engineer users with the same problem. They
13 solved it in a neat way, by running mutt in a permanent screen session on a
14 server I provided for the purpose. Getmail is now not necessary as I deliver
15 their mail to that machine. Working on the LAN and from home over vpn it just
16 works, connecting from home without vpn is a simple matter of ssh port
17 forwarding. Their shell profiles on every workstation runs screen and
18 .screenrc is set up to automatically connect to that server.
19
20 It works for them and is just geeky enough to appeal :-)
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com